The Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives (ICFA) at the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection is pleased to announce the publication of four new finding aids on the department’s archival collections webpage.
ICFA staff completed the archival processing and finding aids for the following collections:
- Thomas Whittemore Papers, ca. 1875-1966
- Early Archaeological Projects Associated with Thomas Whittemore, 1910s-1930s
- Byzantine Institute and Dumbarton Oaks Fieldwork Records and Papers, ca. late 1920s-2000s
- Paul Atkins Underwood Research Papers, ca. 1936-1950
Additionally, ICFA has revised existing finding aids for collections produced by Byzantine scholars and/or Dumbarton Oaks staff, including:
- Hans Belting Research Papers and Photographs, ca. 1960s-1980s
- Nathalie P. Scheffer Research Papers, 1940-1954
- Josephine Harris Research Papers and Photographs, ca. 1950s-1970s
- Sirarpie Der Nersessian Papers and Photographs
In future months, ICFA plans to complete the processing of the Robert Van Nice Fieldwork Records and Papers and the Margaret Alexander Fieldwork Papers. While these projects are still in progress, ICFA staff and interns have created online resources to document these collections, including:
More importantly, ICFA is currently moving its long-form finding aids to an open-source web-based collection management system (International Council on Archives Access to Memory or ICA-AtoM) for increased accessibility. While the change has opened the door for lively debates about archival description and “More Product, Less Process,” this challenge has definitely been an educational and exciting journey for the staff in ICFA.
For more information about ICFA’s ongoing activities and projects, please visit the departmental blog and “friend us” on the Dumbarton Oaks Library and Archives Facebook page.