The National Gallery of Art is seeking applicants for a permanent, full-time technical position in the library’s circulation office.
Library Technician (Circulation Assistant)
This position is located on the staff of the Collections, Exhibitions, and Programs Officer (P), in the Library Reader Services Department (PL-R), of the National Gallery of Art. The incumbent is responsible for a variety of circulation operations and services to Gallery staff, fellows for the Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts (CASVA), and other library users.
Provides library information and service to library users:
- Explains Reader Services procedures and policies, including those governing circulation and use of library materials in all formats; makes referrals where necessary.
- Assists readers with identifying, locating, and handling Library materials.
- Assists readers with using Library photocopiers and printers.
Maintains circulation desk files and records in electronic and paper form and compiles reports:
- Patron records for Gallery staff
- Outside reader registrations
- System charges, discharges, renewals, reserves, and recalls
- Special loans (one-day, periodicals, materials authorized to leave the Library)
- Special materials (rare, fragile, oversize, vertical files).
Assists with the maintenance of the library’s collections:
- Retrieves and re-shelves library materials in the stacks and in other special locations
- Sorts (by classification number) books ready for re-shelving
- Performs shelf-reading to verify correct shelf order
- Moves and shifts volumes as needed to maintain order and accessibility
- Conducts stack and Gallery office inventories
- Conducts detailed and systematic searches for missing materials and prepares related reports.
Checks bibliographic citations in the Library’s online and printed catalogs to determine holdings.
Monitors supplies and equipment used for circulation desk operations and in the reading rooms and submits requests to acquire as needed.
Detailed information about the position’s duties and qualifications as well as application instructions are available via the USAJOBS links provided below. Applicants must provide ALL supporting documentation at the time they apply to the vacancy announcement in order to be considered.
The announcements will open at 12:01 am on January 24, 2020. This announcement has an application limit of 100 applications; therefore, applicants need to apply as soon as possible. If the application limit isn’t met previously, the announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. Friday, February 7, 2020.
NGA-20-2A (Open to all U.S. citizens)
NGA-20-2B (Persons with federal competitive status or reinstatement eligibility, or who are eligible under the Veterans’ Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) or other special hiring authorities, including Veterans’ Recruitment Appointment (VRA) authority and Schedule A authority to hire individuals with severe disabilities.)
Note: Persons wishing to be considered under both announcements must apply separately to each. Current Federal employees who do not meet the time-in-grade requirement should apply to announcement NGA-20-2A.